Each year, millions of internet users fall victims to cybercrime. The Internet has become one of the most widely used platforms for fraud, and hackers are developing increasingly sophisticated hacking methods.
Therefore, it is essential for users to know the best way to avoid being scam and also learn how to use only reputable, secure wireless networks while doing any type of financial transaction online. Read the following as we’ve listed below.
How To Avoid Online Fraud
1. Keep your computers and mobile devices up to date: Having the latest security software, web browser, and operating system are the best defenses against viruses, malware, and other online threats. Turn on automatic updates so you receive the newest fixes as they become available.
2. Set strong passwords: A strong password is at least eight characters in length and includes a mix of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters.
3. Watch out for phishing scams: Phishing scams use fraudulent emails and websites to trick users into disclosing private account or login information. Do not click on links or open any attachments or pop-up screens from sources you are not familiar with.
4. Keep personal information personal: Hackers can use social media profiles to figure out your passwords and answer those security questions in the password reset tools. Lock down your privacy settings and avoid posting things like birthdays, addresses, mother’s maiden name, etc. Be wary of requests to connect from people you do not know.
5. Secure your internet connection: Always protect your home wireless network with a password. When connecting to public Wi-Fi networks, be cautious about what information you are sending over it.
6. Shop safely: Before shopping online, make sure the website uses secure technology. When you are at the checkout screen, verify that the web address begins with https. Also, check to see if a tiny locked padlock symbol appears on the page.